Our Executive Director Barb Tubekis is retiring after an inspiring 30-years as our fearless leader. She leaves the Volunteer Center with a vibrant mission, strong and healthy relationships with local community groups and organizations — and a very bright future.
We’re looking for someone who can build on The Volunteer Center’s 60-year history and Barb’s legacy. Our next Executive Director will team with our high-energy, hard-working, collegial Board to lead us into The Volunteer Center’s next chapter.
This is a great job and an exciting opportunity for the right person to make a meaningful difference in the VC and in our community. We invite you to read the Position Description below for more details. We look forward to hearing from you to start a conversation!
Volunteer Center Executive Director Position Description
The Volunteer Center is looking for a new Executive Director to lead our small but mighty team that is dedicated to fulfilling our nonprofit mission to promote volunteerism, support local nonprofits, and engage people in meaningful volunteer service in our community.
As our Executive Director, your role is to:
- Represent the Volunteer Center at community events, days of service and training programs
- Collaborate with our Board to develop and implement our strategic plan
- Oversee the routine daily operations, finances and activities of the Volunteer Center
- Build relationships with our 160+ Chicagoland Nonprofit Partners, and schools and faith-based organizations in the New Trier Township
- Lead our fundraising and marketing activities
- Help us build on our 30-year success by inspiring us to think in new and creative ways about our mission
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Are passionate about volunteerism and community service
- Thrive in a team environment
- Demonstrate leadership experience in an organizational context
- Have fundraising or marketing experience
- Are comfortable speaking in public and leading group events
- Bring excellent organizational and communication skills
- Have working knowledge of business software applications and social media
- Completed at least a Bachelor’s Degree
- Enjoy having fun while we work!
Why This is a Great Job
We offer a unique combination of personal reward, flexibility and lifestyle benefits for someone who wants to make a tangible impact in our local community.
- Requires a flexible, part-time 30 hours-per-week during the school year – 8 hours-per-week in summer
- Allows for hybrid remote/office schedule
- Accommodates family schedules: Offers school holidays off during the year, the ability to tailor weekly hours to family schedules, and a light, fully-remote summer schedule
Accountability: You will report to the Executive Committee of the Board. Evaluation of performance and compensation are annual.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience, and comparable to compensation levels of similar-sized, nonprofit organizations in the New Trier Township